Thanks to Catholic Cultures
GREAT WORK BLAMING BRUTALLY COLONISED COUNTRIES FOR THEIR OWN COLONISATION JUST TO MAKE A CHEAP POINT ABOUT RELIGION
what the fuck is this bullshit
i can’t even deal with this, and i’m not even catholic anymore. did the OP never even begin to think about the way this religion intersects with a lot of cultural and ethnic identities, and that catholicism for a lot of cultures is literally not the same as the catholicism of “mostly white men”? no, of course not.
like man, i have severe issues with the church for how they treated me and other queer folks, but i also know that the community of largely mexican and central american people who gave me places to live, food to eat, and jobs are all deeply tied to this religion, WHICH WAS ALSO ADAPTED INTO A LOT OF NATIVE BELIEFS/RELIGIONS AS WELL and
oh god i have very complicated feelings about once being catholic CAN YOU TELL. anyway, fuck this. do not use colonization for your ~slick atheist points~ because it makes you an awful person
^^^THIS. As someone who grew up in a Mexican-American Catholic family that basically had the mentality of FUCK THE VATICAN, you cannot speak to the intricacy of how colonized cultures worship if you AREN’T DEEPLY FAMILIAR WITH THEM.
YES YES YES. Oh god, I had priests and nuns and deacons who all basically said that they didn’t listen to the Vatican at all, that the church’s position on a lot of things didn’t work for people who were immigrants or migrant workers or WEREN’T OLD WHITE MEN. and that is such an important distinction that, again, you can’t speak to if you don’t know shit about them.
i woke up to this
and actually fell out of bed
and then this was in the article
so i got back into bed so i could fall out of it again
Nice, but they’re still white, conventionally attractive, not visually trans* or disabled, neither of them have visable scarring, stretchmarks, etc, I mean, even on a basic body-positive note, neither of them have hair legs or armpits.
I’ve yet to see ONE graphic along these lines that actually include anything other than the chubby/skinny thing. Let’s see some fat, scarred and stretchmarked black trans women with prosthetic limbs or dwarfism or something, and hairy legs, maybe she’s got a shaped afro or something, natural black hair is looked down on by society.
Then I’ll get as excited as the rest of tumblr by these nicely drawn graphics.
YOU PEOPLE ARE NEVER HAPPY A RE YOU
IS THIS FUCKING BETTER??!?@»@?
The officers claimed the act was in self-defense.
Mexican officials condemned a fatal, cross-border shooting of a Mexican citizen by U.S. Border Patrol agents that took place on Saturday, July 7.
At least two U.S. Border Patrol agents fired their weapons in reaction to rock throwing and after observing someone aiming a weapon at them near the Tomates-Veterans international bridge between Matamoros, Mexico and Brownsville, Texas.
lovely, now we’re just fucking shooting completely randomly as opposed to somewhat randomly
the lesson for today, class, is when to use epithets rather than names or pronouns — and when not to.
- when the character’s name is unknown, so there’s really no other way to refer to them:
Two goons in suits blocked my way. “You ain’t going nowhere,” said the ugly mook. The even-uglier mook just grinned.
- to draw attention to the role or function described:
Bill was so excited to meet Obama, he was a little worried he’d end up remembering today as the day he threw up on the president.
- as in-character commentary to flesh out the POV’s voice:
You stand back and nudge the door open with your toe in case of falling buckets, but it seems the windy dipshit has given up on that particular tired prank.
(NOTE: use this last one SPARINGLY. consider your own internal monologue. how often do you think of people by anything but their names? too much of this trick breaks immersion.)
DO NOT USE EPITHETS:
- to avoid using pronouns.
- to avoid using names.
- to remind the reader of physical characteristics you should’ve described elsewhere.
- to remind the reader of physical characteristics they already know perfectly well because they wouldn’t even be reading your damn fanfic if they weren’t familiar with canon, come ON people.
- to try to sound erudite or poetic.
- for any other stupid reason. i’m serious. i will come over there and hit you.
- i’m not kidding.
- fucking stop.
ok, so, just so we’re clear, this is an “independent role play journal” that is
- using clawdeen wolf’s name
- and back story (“Clawdeen wolf|| Daughter of the wolfman. Fierce, Fashionista with no-nonsense attitude. Also gorgeous, intimidating and loyal”)
- and tagging this shit “monster high”
- but when called out on white-washing one of the few brown characters in MH by using MILEY FUCKING CYRUS as her pb
- they respond w/ “ooc: I’m just using the name, I’m not “officially rolling a MH character””
i don’t think i’ve ever reblogged something from my personal journal, but this is some serious bullshit right here. whitewashing brown characters is never acceptable or innocent, it is a symptom of racism and, in this case, anti-blackness in our society. clawdeen being black is an intrinsic aspect of her character, it cannot just be separated from her other characteristics and discarded. and it shouldn’t be. you can’t just go and role play everything but her blackness. that is racist. that is anti-black.no excuses.
more info on whitewashing and why it’s awful and you should not fucking do it:
ten bucks says someone says “TECHNICALLY NO ONE EVER SAID CLAWDEEN WAS BLACK IN THE SHOW SO ASSUMING SHE IS IS RACIST STEREOTYPING, SO YOU ARE THE RACISTS!!!!!!!!”
it will happen. And I will weep.
(for the record I love Miley Cyrus. But she is not black.)
Blonde Nadine sexy xxx
Here are the 10 most eye-roll worthy moments Paltrow has given the world:
- “I am who I am. I can’t pretend to be somebody who makes $25,000 a year.”
- I’m just a normal mother with the same struggles as any other mother who’s trying to do everything at once and trying to be a wife and maintain a relationship. There’s absolutely nothing perfect about my life, but I just try hard.”
- “I’d rather smoke crack than eat cheese from a tin.”
- “Every woman can make time [to work out] — every woman — and you can do it with your baby in the room. There have been countless times where I’ve worked out with my kids crawling around all over the place. You just make it work.”
- “I would rather die than let my kid eat Cup-a-Soup.”
- “Beauty fades! I just turned 29, so I probably don’t have that many good years left in me.”
- “When you go to Paris and your concierge sends you to some restaurant because they get a kickback, it’s like, ‘No. Where should I really be? Where is the great bar with organic wine? Where do I get a bikini wax in Paris?’”
- “We have great dinner parties at which everyone sits around talking about politics, history, art, and literature — all this peppered with really funny jokes. But back in America, I was at a party and a girl looked at me and said, ‘Oh, my God! Are those Juicy jeans that you’re wearing?’ and I thought, I can’t stay here. I have to get back to Europe.”
- “Some days I feel like everyone in my world has plugged themselves into my kidneys. I’m so tired.”
- “I think they’re the idiot people and I’m the normal person. But I don’t really go to parties where … I don’t really have drunk friends. My friends are kind of adult; they have a drink. But they hold their liquor. I think it’s incredibly embarrassing when people are drunk. It just looks so ridiculous. I find it very degrading. I think, ooh, you’re really degrading yourself right now, to be this pissed out in public.”
People born in 1990 can legally drink alcohol.
Obama was sworn into office 3 years ago.
Michael Jackson died over 2.5 years ago.
2007 was HALF A FUCKING DECADE ago.
There are kids in middle school now that don’t even remember 9/11.
There are girls born in 1998 who are pregnant.
There are over 600 pokemon.
I REJECT THIS
Ha! Morningstar items are expensive as fuck where I live. If I buy food for the week its like $30 for the cheapest shit (noodle packs, ramen,maybe a few apples) possible. Or I can eat $1 burgers or chicken sammiches and an ice tea and spend $10 a week on food. So… sorry but bullshit. It makes me think there’s a conspiracy to kill poor people with bad eating habits…
Oh my god I’ve seen one of these before but it bears repeating
Every single one of these is completely inaccurate and doesn’t account for time and labor and it’s just wrong.
I bought a bag of dried cranberries yesterday shit was almost $3
LIKE MY GOD, I WISH HEALTHY FOOD WAS THIS AFFORDABLE BECAUSE I DO COOK AT HOME ALMOST EVERY NIGHT AND I SPEND WAY MORE THAN THIS ON GROCERIES
In a world where it costs more money to eat healthier.
that same bag of cranberries in the wal-mart at my bus stop would be like five and change
I can get relatively similar prices at the Aldi’s near me….but my alternative argument is I bike 4 miles to work and I don’t have the time beforehand to make a meal to take with me, and in the event I do it tends to get…jumbled on the 4 mile bike ride. I can sacrifice 2-5 dollars a day to the Taco Bell gods for the convenience.
Where in this country does all this good food cost that little??? CAN WE PLEASE STOP FOOD-SHAMING PEOPLE WHO CAN’T AFFORD GOOD FOOD. CAN WE PLEASE.